OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 5257040.0
February 20, 2008 11:36 PM

Categories: General Sansa Discussion

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Brandon C

Editor

From

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=announcements&thre...

Ok,  I just purchased my 1GB Sansa Express yesterday.  I was very excited to try it out.  When I got home, I plugged it into my computer and that's when the fun started...

First off,  my computer saw it immediately as an MTP device, and in the device manager it put it under Portable devices with MTP as one of the labels.  However, it wouldn't work!  I couldn't locate it in My Computer, nor did any of my music synching programs work.  In Device Manager it showed the device with the yellow exclamation mark.  I checked the properties and it gave me a Code 1 error,  device not configured correctly.

I worked with it for a good couple of hours trying to determine why my XP Pro wouldn't install it properly.  Finally I did the following steps and it worked immediately!!

0. Plug the Sansa Express into a USB 2.0 slot
  1. Open the start menu and right click on My Computer
  2. Click on properties
  3. Locate and click on the "Hardware" Tab of the system properties window that pops up
  4. Find the button that says "Device Manager"
  5. When you do this, another window will pop up with a list of all of the hardware installed inside of your computer,  you should see the Sansa Express somewhere in this list with the yellow exclamation mark.
  6. Right-Click on the Sansa Express and click on "Update Driver"
  7. When the next window opens up,  instead of allowing it to search automatically,  click on "Install from a list or a specific location (Advanced)"  and click next
  8. On the next window,  click on the last option "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install" and click next
  9.  When I did this,  it had two options listed.  MTP Device and USB Mass Storage Device.  If you see these options highlight the USB Mass Storage Device and click next.  It should install Immediately!!

I sincerely hope this helps anyone,  I searched and searched on line for an answer, and I couldn't come up with anything.  I fiddled around with it for a long time.  Thank god I got it to work!  :smileyhappy:  Good Luck everyone!!

BC Support Design and Development

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 29 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

November 29, 2008 11:53 PM

I have spent days trying to solve this problem. I would plug in the Sansa Express, Windows XP would make the sound it makes when a usb device is plugged in, then it would make the sound that is made when a USB device is removed, and nothing further would happen. The Express installer would download the software, then the software would crash. I tried resetting the express, by holding the middle button, then the volume up button, and volume down button, with no luck. No other posting on any other site, that I saw, had a solution that worked. Brandon's solution works! Thank you so much!

- Mike

January 7, 2009 7:01 AM

I tried using Brandon's method with my sansa express 2gb (on a windows vista platform) but it is not does not show on the list of devices on the device manager.am fast giving up on my mp3 player.

my pc searches for preconfigured drive folders for the MTP device for the whole day.i am really fruastrated with it.

January 13, 2009 5:17 PM

There are a lot of messages from different web sites about people trying to get their Sansa Express to work. From what I can tell from user reviews from Circuit City's web site (as I remember), about 50% of Sansa Express buyers who reviewed the device have major issues getting it to work. It's not easy getting it to work either, but there are several solutions out there, for different problems. You will need to do a bit of Google searching.

IF you are able to get it to work, it's a nifty little device. I use it as a recording device, hung around my neck. The recording quality is not bad for my non-professional uses. I do wish that it was able to save recordings with accurate file dates (everything is saved with a date from 2002 or 2003, and I see no options for setting the time). I also sometimes use it to read micro SD cards to transfer data between my cell phone and computer.

- Mike

View unverified member's comment - posted by big

March 11, 2009 5:41 PM

Brandon,,,, you rock...your suggestion did help me. My Sansa is being detected now by my computer...appreciate your time and help...Thank you so much

Thanks
Shan
shan24x7@yahoo.com

June 24, 2009 3:03 PM

Thanks

View unverified member's comment - posted by Jada

View unverified member's comment - posted by Jada

December 8, 2009 12:34 PM

i have a walkman and it works on some computers and some not. i was wondering why this happens but it is no more important, as long as it works i'm cool with it.

March 6, 2010 12:00 PM

tried the method, step by step,
it gave me a

March 6, 2010 2:54 PM

ANYTHING BUT SANSA!!!!
A couple of years ago I bought a Sansa E270 along with some support accessories and it was a maddening, frustrating experience trying to program music into the damn thing so it was into the junk drawer. $150+ down the drain.
I had, and still do,a Creative Zen V but wanted something with more capacity. The Zen V is a jewel, easy to program, good battery life, etc.

I saw the E270 with 6gb capacity and it accepts microsd chips which I felt would give me plenty of capacity and I wouldn't have to often reprogram it.
Along with the Sansa I bought a 4gb memory chip. Big Mistake, it only accepts 2gb. Along with horrible sofware it has a proprietary connector so requires a special inter connect cable, no standard usb.

What can I say is good about it ... it's well built, sturdy, but, hey so is a brick.

From what I have read on other Sansa forums it seems many users are having similar problems with many of the Sansa products. My advice is ANY THING BUT SANSA ... ipod, fuze,coby,toshiba, etc

May 12, 2010 11:18 PM

I just wanted to say THANK YOU BRANDON! My aunt let me have her Sansa Express and I have Vista... it kept saying Error blah blah blah.. I followed your steps and VOILA! It is now working! ♥

May 17, 2010 6:35 PM

thanks a lot
problem solved

May 17, 2010 6:37 PM

thanks a lot
problem solved

View unverified member's comment - posted by Lucky Day

View unverified member's comment - posted by anon5484846

November 25, 2010 10:10 AM

My Sansa has been a complete exercise in frustration!!! I have since bought two Creative Zen and what a difference! Sandisk's SW people must be monkeys that they
captured in the jungle. My advice, don't waste your money on any mp3 device from Sandisk!

I've tried Brandon's method with some success but there are still problems.

January 30, 2011 1:29 PM

You are a genius!!! This worked for my Sony walkman player!!! Thanks

View unverified member's comment - posted by tamanna

View unverified member's comment - posted by smallfish

April 30, 2011 4:15 PM

When I preset my favorite FM radio stations, the presets continually get erased. A few times the presets are saved but then they get erased also. It is bothersome to repeatedly find the fm stations and save them again nd again in the same morning. Especially if you are walking downtown and you can hardly read the screen on daylight. I have to go inside a building in order to read the screen and follow the steps to save the presets.

April 30, 2011 4:16 PM

When I preset my favorite FM radio stations, the presets continually get erased. A few times the presets are saved but then they get erased also. It is bothersome to repeatedly find the fm stations and save them again nd again in the same morning. Especially if you are walking downtown and you can hardly read the screen on daylight. I have to go inside a building in order to read the screen and follow the steps to save the presets.

May 19, 2011 1:08 AM updated: May 19, 2011 1:18 AM

Good way.

[url= http://www.susanexpress.com]Cheap WOW Gold[/url] [url= http://www.susanexpress.com]WOW Gold[/url] [url= http://www.susanexpress.com]BUY WOW Gold[/url] [url= http://www.susanexpress.com]World of warcraft Gold[/url]

June 3, 2011 2:10 AM updated: June 25, 2012 3:51 AM

I just baught one a few days ago. I use it mostly for audio-books. I also found the navigation slightly confusing at first. But you get the hang of it pretty quickly.The only problem I came upon is that some of the mp3 audios books I had didnt have correct id3 infos on the files. So they were all mixed up under √?"Unknown Album√?". I had to add the ID3 info manually.But the fact that it so tiny and charges and transfer files in the USB without any cabling compensate more than enough.

View unverified member's comment - posted by PRADOSH

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 29 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window