OUR NETWORK:TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 1.26397E7
September 23, 2008 01:52 PM

Categories: Sansa Clip / Clip +

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

Peter Redmer

Administrator

My girlfriend really loves her Sansa Clip.  Since all of her music is in my library and in my iPod, we usually transfer music to her clip via my Mac simply by dragging files to it in the Finder.  The recent firmware update solved the "DS.Store" issue, which made both of us happy, and she has been having great luck with the player.

That being said, she really wants to make some workout playlists.

Since I'm used to creating playlists in iTunes, I'm not really familiar with how to create playlists for the Sansa.  

Can you do it manually via the player?  Or is there some other way that I can do it, given that the player is not really "synced?"

She's been asking me a lot lately, so it's about time I found her an answer :)

Peter Redmer
Administrator
Blog | Twitter

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 52 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 Next »

September 23, 2008 7:29 PM

Peter I don't have a Mac but there is something that is supposed to work.
Here is the deal.
There is a script is available at http://sharefiles.quietlakephoto.com/scripts/itunes2clip_download.html

That the authors says:
This applescript works with iTunes to allow exporting iTunes playlists in the M3U format as required by the Sandisk Sansa Clip mp3 player when in the USB mode: MSC. It will export any playlist created in iTunes, however, if the playlist contains non-MP3 format tracks, e.g., MP4, M4A, WAV, AIFF, etc., you will be alerted that those tracks must be converted and that they will not be included on the exported playlist.

Give it a shot and let us know how you do.

BC Support Design and Development

October 10, 2008 11:12 PM

This is how I make playlists in the Sansa clip:

Connect the MP3 player with the USB connector
Go to My Computer and open Sansa Clip folder
Go to the Music Folder
In the Music Folder, right click and make a New Folder and name it.
Copy and paste all the songs you want to be in a playlist into the New Folder.
Right click the New Folder with the songs you just dropped in and click on Make Playlist
Name the Playlist
Disconnect the MP3 player
Enjoy.

October 12, 2008 11:44 PM

I've been using that script for the last day or two, but I had major problems when I tried updating the playlist. I listen to audiobooks, so I have to change it on a daily basis. I deleted the playlist and CDs, thinking this would work, but I kept getting an error about an item already existing on the Sansa. I finally had to format it before it would work again.

How do I update my playlist without getting this error message?

View unverified member's comment - posted by SansaClipUser

November 8, 2008 1:29 PM

Hi, i have a problem with my sansa clip. I have made some playlists like you said, and the problem is that after playing one song from playlist it skips to another playlist, it is getting on my nervs. Please advice me something, Thanks.

November 8, 2008 1:38 PM updated: November 8, 2008 1:39 PM

Nikita,

Make two folders to solve this problem. So:
Go to the Music Folder
In the Music Folder, right click and make a New Folder and name it.
OPEN THE NEW FOLDER AND Make another folder then NAME IT AGAIN
Copy and paste all the songs you want to be in a playlist into the New Folder (so you have Music folder --> Folder 1 --> Folder 2 with music).
Right click the New Folder 2 with the songs you just dropped in and click on Make Playlist
Name the Playlist
Copy and paste playlist into the Music folder
Disconnect the MP3 player

I hope that helps.

Enjoy.

-DG

November 9, 2008 7:22 AM

Thanks, at first it worked but after couple hours of playng it gone worse, now it plays only one song from the playlist, and if a dial forward it start the same song all over again. And yesterday after making folders like you said everything was ok, but after couple of hours it refused to play any of playlists, and played songs only in play all mode. I start to worry that it might be only mine clip problem, because of some kinda defect or something. If you had similar problems, Please Help !!!

November 11, 2008 10:22 PM

It should be noted that not everyboy has the command "Make playlist" on folders. People who have this might have installed something... I dont have it on the comp where i have WinAmp. Maybe a iTunes tool ? It's not something that is part of Windows. At least, not on XP.

November 26, 2008 1:15 AM updated: November 26, 2008 9:29 PM

DG, in your post on October 10, you said:

Right click the New Folder with the songs you just dropped in and click on Make Playlist
Name the Playlist

I am running Windows 2000 Pro and do not have the "Make Playlist" option when I right click on a folder. Where does this come from? Do you have an application loaded that adds this feature? One post I saw was from a person running Windows XP, so I'm assuming it is not part XP either. Thanks.

December 16, 2008 11:57 AM

Mine does the same thing, I'm ready to kill someone. :-)

March 4, 2009 10:59 AM

If you have Vista, it's surprising easy.

Open up your sansa clip files in windows explorer, go into the music directory, select the files you want in your playlist, right-click your mouse. The option to create a playlist should appear in the drop-down menu. Select the option and a new item should appear in the directory named 'play.pla' (this file can be renamed).

Cut and paste the PLA file into the playlist directory and that's it.

When you disconnected your sansa clip from your PC and it's done it's database refresh, go into Music, then scroll down to Playlists and it will be there waiting for you to play.

March 5, 2009 3:04 PM

Question: I have a 2G Sansa Clip. Its almost full. When I try to create a playlist by doing what you said on October 10th, it doubles up my songs and I run out of space. How do I create a playlist without doubling up on songs? Is it possible? Thanks for your help.

March 5, 2009 3:04 PM

Question: I have a 2G Sansa Clip. Its almost full. When I try to create a playlist by doing what you said on October 10th, it doubles up my songs and I run out of space. How do I create a playlist without doubling up on songs? Is it possible? Thanks for your help.

March 11, 2009 7:58 PM updated: March 11, 2009 8:06 PM

Brooke,

I know what you mean. Basically, all the songs you want on a playlist need to be in the same folder. You can't add to the playlist later unless you can do so in the interface on the clip itself (i haven't tried). So what you could do is take all of your music files and put them in one folder. From there left click + CTRL all the songs you want in one playlist. Right click and create/name your playlist. Drag the playlist you just created to your playlist folder. The playlist itself should have little to no size to it. You may be doubling up because you are copying and pasting... creating the second file.

Also, I just read the user manual on this website (goes against everything male) but you can sync this with windows media player. You can create/edit playlists from there. Try it.

Good luck

April 30, 2009 3:35 AM

I just created a m3u playlist generator for mac osx,
maybe this is of use for someone:
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=17694

May 13, 2009 1:51 PM

I have a 4GB Sansa Fuze + 8GB Sansa microSDHC card (which is about the size of the nail of an index finger; it's fascinating ... !) I store all of my music on the uSD card, and audio books on the unit itself. I always run in MSC mode, so Windows sees the complete unit as two independent USB drives. I struggled with playlist creation using Windows Media Player for a while, and had some successes and failures, including the dreaded 'double files' problem (a real pisser!).

Then I discovered a little utility called 'PlayList Creator', which makes and arranges .m3u playlists using drag & drop. 'PlayList Creator' is available from our new friends at oddgravity.de. It's freeware, and can be downloaded from soft32.com at this link (if moderators let links through):
http://www.soft32.com/download_66536.html

It's interface is English, German, and perhaps others. If you can't work out how to make .m3u playlists using this tool, you don't deserve to have anything as cool as a Sansa mp3-etc. player.

A .m3u playlist file is actually just a specially formatted text file, and can be built by hand, if you're patient. For example, I always use my Fuze in MSC mode (see above), and all of my music is sorted into [drive letter] X:\MUSIC\A [folder] or B [folder], etc. Under the alphanumeric folders, I further sort them into band/artist names; e.g., Aerosmith [folder], Alice In Chains [folder], etc. if I have >1 song. If only 1 song by an artist, the song just lies in the A, B, C, etc. -level folder. So the physical structure is sort of like this:

X:\MUSIC\A\Aerosmith\Aerosmith - Dream On.mp3
X:\MUSIC\A\Aerosmith\Aerosmith - Rag Doll.mp3
X:\MUSIC\A\Alice In Chains\Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You.mp3
X:\MUSIC\A\Alice In Chains\Alice In Chains - Rooster.mp3
X:\MUSIC\A\Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine.mp3 <-- Note: No Aqualung folder; only one by this artist

Back at the top-most level, I have a folder called Playlists:
X:\Playlists <-- contains all playlists

Given this file structure, an individual .m3u playlist using only these songs is formatted thusly:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1,Aerosmith - Dream On
..\MUSIC\A\Aerosmith\Aerosmith - Dream On.mp3
#EXTINF:-1,Aerosmith - Rag Doll
..\MUSIC\A\Aerosmith\Aerosmith - Rag Doll.mp3
#EXTINF:-1,Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You
..\MUSIC\A\Alice In Chains\Alice In Chains - Heaven Beside You.mp3
#EXTINF:-1,Alice In Chains - Rooster
..\MUSIC\A\Alice In Chains\Alice In Chains - Rooster.mp3
#EXTINF:-1,Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine
..\MUSIC\A\Aqualung - Brighter Than Sunshine.mp3

No special termination is required. That's the entire playlist. Name it with a .m3u file extension, and it goes into the X:\Playlists folder.

But I *strongly* recommend 'Playlist Creator' ...

Have fun!

webbit

May 15, 2009 2:33 PM

Im having an issue with my 8g clip. i created a playlist by putting all the music i wanted in it, then moved the folder to the playlist folder. but when i dissconnected it to check if my playlist worked but no luck. can you help me. thanx

June 4, 2009 3:59 AM

So, there are many ways to create a playlist for your sansa clip but not all of them works. Some m3u playlist will apear as empty on your player. It is because file path in the list is wrong. If you already have some playlist on sansa clip that doesn't work you can modify it like this: 1. connect clip to pc 2. browse with my computer or windows explorer 3. find playlist you want to modify 4. right click->open with notepad You will notice that there are two rows for each file: #EXTINF:

June 4, 2009 4:00 AM

So, there are many ways to create a playlist for your sansa clip but not all of them works. Some m3u playlist will apear as empty on your player. It is because file path in the list is wrong. If you already have some playlist on sansa clip that doesn't work you can modify it like this:
1. connect clip to pc
2. browse with my computer or windows explorer
3. find playlist you want to modify
4. right click->open with notepad
You will notice that there are two rows for each file:
#EXTINF:"some number",artist-song.mp3
"file path"
5. ctrl+H or edit->replace
Wrong file path in most cases means that path is absolute(have a drive letter- E:\Music\...). Instead it should look like Music\... You have to see where are your music and playlist located and replace some parts of file path in playlist. First row will stay as it is. Second row will be modified.
6. in "Find what" field type drive letter(e:\). "Replace with" leave blank. Click "Replace all".
If files in the playlist are located in the root folder(at least one of them) playlist should be saved there too.
And the path should look like this:
-for files located in root: artist-song.mp3
-files located in folders: folder\artist-song.mp3
If all the files in the list are in Music\... list can be saved in Music(not Music\folder...) and root.
-playlist in Root: filepath: Music\folder\artist-song.mp3
-playlist in Music: filepath: folder\artist-song.mp3

In some cases filepath is wrong because file has been moved in different folder. In that case you have to type new path.

And now finaly, how to create new playlist without installing any programs. This will create a playlist only for the files already on sansa clip. I think that you can use almost any program that can save m3u playlist on desired location. I have tried with WinAmp and WMP 11. It should work with earlier versions of wmp too.
1. Connect sansa to pc
2. browse with my computer or windows explorer
3. open wmp, winamp...
4. drag and drop all files you want in your playlist(for wmp in now playing playlist, and for winamp in it's standard playlist) FROM SANSA.
5. sort as you like
6. a) wmp: "save playlist as..."->in the new window find sansa clip and save it in root or Music folder with any name. And in "save as type" field you HAVE to choose m3u playlist.
b)winamp: list options->save list->in the new window find sansa clip and save it in root or Music folder with any name. And in "save as type" field you HAVE to choose m3u playlist.

If there is no other transfers you can plug out your player.
I am running XP with service pack 3 and usb mode on sansa is msc.

I am sorry for bad english and typing errors. You are free to edit this tutorial as much as you want, but it would be nice to mantion who wrote it originaly ;)
If it doesn't work don't be rude. Try asking for more help.
If you already know how to create playlist you wasted your time reading this. In any case i don't need information how smart you are and how useless this tutorial is for people smart as you.

June 5, 2009 3:18 AM

For iPod users, sometimes they want to backup the music, video or pictures on iPod to computer and to another iPod. This makes iPod users headache for iTunes doesn't providing this feature at all. Tipard Studio releases a program that can backup their files on iPod to PC or transfer files to another iPod. Using (http://tipard.com/ipod-transfer-pro.html)Tipard iPod Transfer Pro you would never worry about losing problem of the files. This iPod Transfer Pro help you copy songs and video from iPod to PC without losing anything. Tipard iPod Transfer pro supports all the versions of iPod devices. So you can easily transfer music and video from iPod, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod shuffle, iPod Touch, iPhone to PC. You could easily share your iPod music with your friends.

http://www.tipard.com/guide/follow/ipod-transfer-pro.jpg

Key Features:

﹡Backup files from iPod to computer
﹡Import files from computer to iPod
﹡Transfer files from iPod to iPod/iPhone

August 30, 2009 8:44 PM updated: August 30, 2009 8:49 PM

So, I'm making playlists/adding music as stated earlier with making a folder and right clicking to create a playlist. So that's all fine and good but as someone else had mentioned, the first song of the playlist will play and then it flips to something else.

I made myself a playlist with Bach, Beethoven and the like so I could drift off to sleep. Well, I was almost asleep when Piano Concierto #7 ended and Rob Zombie's Living Dead Girl rocked me to full alertness. Yeah, needless to say, I was quite irritated.

Can someone help before I go to the darkside and buy an iPod? Thanks!

September 6, 2009 10:23 AM updated: September 6, 2009 10:29 AM

After searching many message boards and reading about other people's experiences, I finally developed a playlist creation method using MediaMonkey and placing the Sansa Clip in MTP Mode.

1. If you don't have MediaMonkey, you can download it here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/

2. Allow MediaMonkey to create a library, or manually create one yourself.

3. Create new playlist using MediaMonkey.

4. Plug in your Sansa Clip, making sure you are in MTP Mode. (Go to Settings > USB Mode > MTP.)

5. Once MediaMonkey had recognized your clip, right click on the playlist you created and select "Send to" then choose "Sansa Clip (Synchronize.)"

6. Sit back and wait.

7. Enjoy your playlist from your Clip! :)

Other tips that might be helpful:

1. MediaMonkey is a great tool that will also allow you to organize your music and subscribe to podcasts. The "Subscribe to New Podcast" menu is very intuitive and simple.

2. When your Sansa Clip is connected to your computer, you can use the windows explorer (click on "My Computer" from your desktop) to see and clean up your files. I found that I saw completely different directories when I had it connected in MTP mode vs. MSC mode. I was able to delete a lot easily and create space

3. If your Sansa Clip is not being recognized by your computer, follow the instructions at the Sansa Clip Troubleshooting FAQ:
http://www.sansa.com/support/sansa_clip/faqs

Question no.9 addresses the issue.

Hope this helps!

December 28, 2009 3:30 PM

I'd like to take my long windows media player playlist and get it to play on my clip+.
My pc recognizes the clip+ and everything is fine - when I sync my playlist on media player with the clip+ it writes the file to the clip+...but its in the wrong format for the clip+ to be able to read.
It looks like I need to convert it to a .pla file from a .wpl file. This looks like its a formatting issue but I can't seem to get a .pla file that i can edit to see what the format looks like.

January 17, 2010 2:04 AM

This is what I just found that helped me create playlists with my Sansa Clip
http://www.ehow.com/how_5857803_create-playlist-sansa-clip.html

January 22, 2010 7:44 AM

MediaMonkey works great for creating multiple playlists. I made two lists (they had overlapping songs) and synced both with the clip. Both lists are accessible on the clip.

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 52 | Latest Comment | 1 2 3 Next »

Add Your Reply

(will not be displayed)

Email me when comments are added to this thread

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window