OUR NETWORK: TiVo Community TechLore Explore3DTV DVRplayground Dijit Community See all... About UsAdvertiseContact Us

Learn about scoring Forum's Raw Score: 2552350.0
December 6, 2008 02:51 PM

Categories: Sansa Clip / Clip +

Rating (0 votes)
Rate This!

Member Avatar

shodaimeitachi

So i have a 4gb Sansa Clip.
I wanted to delete all the songs off of it. So i used disk utilities on my mac and i erased it off of there. Now when i turn on my clip it says "not enough space for music DB. Please free 30mb" What do i do?

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Comments 1-25 of 31 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

December 8, 2008 8:21 PM

I don't use a Mac but I would suggest a quick call to Sansa Support.

BC Support Design and Development

December 12, 2008 9:59 AM

Mac Disk Utilities probably formatted it improperly. I'm not a Mac user, so I don't have a workaround handy. If you have access to Windows, connect your player, launch Windows Media Player, and you'll be able to format it correctly... assuming that's the problem of course.

December 12, 2008 12:29 PM

Matt, i did exactly that right before you posted it. And it works fine now! thx for everyone's help.

Dumb macs...

January 23, 2009 5:20 AM

Uhm, if you ever have that problem when you're on a Mac, you'll be glad to know that it can format your Sansa Clip correctly, you just need to Erase it with a MS-DOS (FAT) format.

:)

July 17, 2009 4:10 AM

hi i have connected my sansa to mac system and ,then ihas shown me an icon on desktop when i right click on it gave option among them i have selected eject.and then my sansa got struct when i restart it

August 12, 2009 2:27 PM

My clip is practically bricked.

Songs will not play. They never go past 00:00. I can jump ahead to other songs/artists/etc. but nothing ever plays. It all looks like it is functional - I can go through all of the menus and power up and down fine.
When I plug it into my PC, I can see the device, but the internal memory only shows DevIcon.fil. No music, no subfolders, nothing.

I've done the 20 second power off reset. I've checked it with the Sansa updater (no updates available) and this just does not work.

I really want to love this device, but the stability has been less than great. I'm getting rather frustrated. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

August 12, 2009 4:24 PM

Mikey,

Tell me a little more about:

1. How you load music onto the Clip
2. The file type/format of music you're loading on to the clip
3. Where the music came from (purchased online, ripped from CD, P2P, etc).

Go to settings, USB mode and tell me what mode you're using.

August 12, 2009 8:13 PM

1) Just plug in via USB to my PC and my laptop (both running XP) and drag and drop the music files into the music folder.
2) mp3.
3) Mostly ripped from CD via Windows Media Player. Some were from P2P.

It's been working for a long while and suddenly went into this odd state yesterday. I've had to do the 20-second reset on it a lot lately in the last few weeks. But prior to that, it was working great.

USB mode is set to autodetect.

What else can I tell you about it?

August 13, 2009 9:38 AM

Mikey said: 1) Just plug in via USB to my PC and my laptop (both running XP) and drag and drop the music files into the music folder. 2) mp3. 3) Mostly ripped from CD via Windows Media Player. Some were from P2P. It's been working for a long while and suddenly went into this odd state yesterday. I've had to do the 20-second reset on it a lot lately in the last few weeks. But prior to that, it was working great. USB mode is set to autodetect. What else can I tell you about it?

Here's what I would try. In the settings menu, you'll see the option to format the player. Do that, assuming you still keep copies of your music files on your PC (if you don't, you should). Also, anytime you're going to transfer music via Explorer, force the USB mode to MSC.

That said, drag and drop in explorer (via MSC) can offer some convenience, depending on how you like to do things, but using MTP mode with a compatible media manager can offer some benefits. After you format your player, keep your Sansa in autodetect mode, then launch Windows Media Player 11 (if you're on XP, you should have this already installed). Under the Sync tab, you'll be able to create a sync list (or just use a playlist) and have WMP sync that music to your clip. When you go to remove songs, you'll see your player on the left in the Sync pane, where you can select songs for removal. 

First, just transfer a few songs and see if it plays.

August 14, 2009 7:03 AM

I was hoping to avoid format, but seems to have cleared the issue. Hopefully, it won't become a common activity for me.

I've never been a fan of sync (due to using multiple machines), but I can see where it would have made putting all my tunes back on the player quick and easy.

Thanks Matt.

September 19, 2009 6:50 PM

My clip is doing the same thing. The only difference is that I don't use a Mac. When I hook it up to the computer, the folders are all empty, but the player is still apparently full.

September 21, 2009 10:26 AM

Najak said: My clip is doing the same thing. The only difference is that I don't use a Mac. When I hook it up to the computer, the folders are all empty, but the player is still apparently full.

Songs transferred by MTP with a media manager (like Windows Media Player) won't be visible in Explorer. You need to view and delete these in MTP mode through your media player.

Worst case, a format will solve the issue. Then re-load your music. 

September 22, 2009 4:00 PM

Ended up having to re-format, which is better than having to buy a new one. Thank you very much!! At least if it happens again, I'll know what to do =)

December 10, 2009 10:50 PM updated: December 10, 2009 10:59 PM

... Sorry guys, first time posting anything on the web ever. Reposted below.

December 10, 2009 10:58 PM

Hey Everybody,

I'm sad. I just bought the 8g Clip+... I've previously had 2 Clips (not the +) and I've had no unsolvable problems with them. My problem now: I copied and pasted the music folder from my old clip to the music folder of the new Clip+ and everything looks fine (the song titles are correct) on my desktop. However, when I power up the player, the first half of my library do not play; they all have "._" (a period followed by an underscore) preceding the song title. The weird thing is when I scroll down my library, the "._" disappears for the second half of the library--which works--and when I get back to the beginning of the library, the formerly affected songs now work with proper titles, but now the second half of the library has "._" preceding all the tracks and they now don't work. This repeats back and forth as I scroll through my library.

I thought it was a hardware/software problem because I've copied and pasted the music folder before between my older clips without problems. I just got a 2nd Clip+ and I still have the same problem.

Instead of copying and pasting, I've tried just dragging the songs individually into the folder, but same problem.

I use osx on the Mac and it's be fine for me and the past Clips (pre clip +). All files are mp3, some p2p, some Itunes, some ripped from cd.... all files that worked on my past Clip.

USB mode is in Auto. I tried switching to MSC and reloading the songs but no luck.

I've tried formatting and the 15 sec power button hold. No luck.

I've called tech support and they said i probably have a lemon. That's when I bought a 2nd one to check-- but same problem.

Help! I'm going crazy without my mp3 player! I love my Sansa Clip and I don't want to buy an Ipod.

April 8, 2010 5:11 PM

My sansa clip always worked great, but one day it started to freeze up. i would plug it into the computer and it would start to work again. A few days later it just stopped working completley ive tryed holding the power button plugging it in,but no success. it hasnt been working for about three weeks. Any suggestions on how to fix it. cant live without my music

April 8, 2010 5:14 PM updated: April 8, 2010 5:17 PM

!!!

View unverified member's comment - posted by DYG

View unverified member's comment - posted by Rav Dovid

September 22, 2010 9:01 AM

Bring up a terminal on your mac and run the command "mount". The results will have a line something like this:

/dev/disk4s1 on /Volumes/RECORDER (msdos, local, nodev, nosuid, noowners)

where "RECORDER" is the name I was using for my Sansa Clip.

diskutil eraseDisk "MS-DOS FAT16" NEWNAME MBR disk4

where: "NEWNAME" is whatever name you want for your Sansa and "disk4" is what I got from the "mount" command that I previously ran. (See the first part -- "/dev/disk4s1" -- just take the "disk4" part.)

Make sure nothing else is using the disk, otherwise you'll get an error about a failure to umount it and the diskutil won't work. If it fails, just try again.

That's it -- unplug and you're ready to go!

September 28, 2010 7:57 PM

RavDavid, you rock! I had two little clips I thought were lost to me and you've helped me bring them back to life. Thank you :)

View unverified member's comment - posted by war7

February 9, 2011 6:24 PM

I have a sansa clip...and i tried to do what you said at the very begging of the post...but i didnt really understand it...if you dont mind i would like sort of a walk through of how to fix my sansa clip...if you dont mind...when i cut it on it says...not enough space for DB please free 30MB...and every time i plug it in my computer there arent any files except for a version.sdk file...and i dont know what that is...so please help me...

April 21, 2011 8:37 AM

hi all, I have a sansa clip. I had Winxp sp2, win 10 and quick heal anti virus, 6 months before. during that time i connected my player in PC it shows autorun option, that time Quick-heal antivirus asked me to allow or block this player. Unknowingly i have selected block option . from that time i cant able to synch my player with the PC. So kindly help me. here FM is working fine, it can able to charge. Except not synchronizing , snd so that i cant able to use those 2 gb. note: before that i had many songs that also gone.

August 24, 2011 11:39 AM

My battery on my Sansa clip 4gb was running low on the battery and shut off before I could plug it up to my computer. Well I plugged it up to my PC and my Clip will not power up.... Help all of my favorite workout songs are on there

Discussion:    Add a Comment | Back to Top | Comments 1-25 of 31 | Latest Comment | 1 2 Next »

You must login to discuss this item.

Please log in or register to participate in this community!

Remember

Not a member? Sign up!

Did you forget your password?

You can also log in using OpenID.

close this window
close this window